1) Chop the dark semi-sweet chocolate
into pieces. Place into a metal bowl, add butter. Melt
over a simmering waterbath. Remove from heat.
2) Add vanilla extract and (3) egg yolks. Whisk together
until chocolate mixture is smooth. see
3) Add well sifted cake flour, and
gently incorporated into the above chocolate mixture.
4) Place the (3) egg whites into a clean metal bowl, add salt
and cream of tartar. Using a whisk, whip egg whites until soft
peaks form. Continue to whisk while slowly sprinkling in the
5) Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold
1/3rd of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold-in
another 1/3rd of the egg whites. Then fold-in the last 1/3rd of the
egg whites. see picture
6) Deposit the batter into large "non-stick" muffin tins - fill 3/4
full. Ramekins can also be used simply butter insides and dust with
cocoa powder. see picture
7) Push a Chocolate Lava Center into the center of each cake
batter. This creates the molten lava center!
see picture #4
8) Bake at 375F degrees for 15 minutes. Do
not over bake! see picture
9) Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes, then unmold
onto a wire rack to cool.
** Serve cakes warm! If you need to reheat, simply place in a
microwave for 30 seconds. see
CHOCOLATE LAVA CENTERS (ganache)
1) Chop dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces. Place into
a metal bowl. Heat heavy cream, pour over chocolate and whisk
until smooth. Add butter and whisk until incorporated.
2) Place mixture into the refrigerator to cool. Every few minutes whisk
the mixture until a frosting like consistency is reached. If the
mixture becomes firm slightly rewarm.
3) Fill a pastry bag with the ganache. Pipe-out "cherry" sized
portions. Place these mounds into the freezer until ready to
use. see picture